Friday, September 07, 2007

New Art from Sarah Bain Gallery

JENNIFER PRESANT



STEPHEN CEFALO



ANGELA CUNNINGHAM



PAUL DAVIES



PAUL DAVIES



MAGGIE TOOLE



Artist's Statement

The human form is fascinating to me. The flowing shapes that bend or stretch or fold or change simply because of a person's mood. Forms that may follow the same blueprint, but are not quite the same on any two people. I love catching the subtle differences in every different person's look...or in the same person for that matter...because they just woke up or because they are under water or because they are sad, or maybe they are thinking of something very wonderful. Each of those things changes them, and I can never tire of a subject matter that is so constantly fluid.

Creating the technique I call Circulism, as a derivative of Pointillism, was my way of incorporating a painting style that I loved with one of my favorite tools, the pencil. What happened next came more natural than anything before it, and from the first piece I drew, there was a magic about it. Using colored pencils, I draw no lines at all...only varied, unending, overlapped and intertwined circles. Building seemingly transparent layers, incorporating all color. As in pointillism, the distant viewer's eye fuses these into realistic shades of human flesh, hair and life.

Total Pageviews

GOOGLE ANALYTICS

Blog Archive