Thinking about my long career in public media where I was obligated to remain neutral and silent about politics. Where I forbade my wife from putting political signs on our lawn in Wilmette, Illinois. Where I also refrained from making political contributions, or in any way being anything but politically independent and respecting all views. Where my guiding principle for FaceBook posts was to put nothing up that I wouldn't display on my office credenza.
My job was to provide an unbiased platform for the expression of all responsible views. And too avoid all and any hint of bias while promoting civil discourse and allow the intelligence of our viewers and listeners to make up their own minds.
I still believe and celebrate this principle of journalistic neutrality and don't agree with cable news channels that pander to the right or the left. Public media is a last bastion of these independent values. I still have great respect for my Republican friends and family that are struggling with what is happening to their political identity. Civility. The rule of law. Respect for the Constitution. Civil Rights. Abraham Lincoln!!
But, being retired is a liberating thing. I no longer have any influence (and never sought any partisan bias) on the journalistic analysis of my public media colleagues. However, I now have the freedom to speak my mind.
In doing so, I am reminded by the words and wisdom of Elie Wiesel:
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference."
Donald Trump is a disaster. General Mattis has FINALLY spoken the truth that most of my Republican friends have said to me privately. It is time for those of us who can to join General Mattis in speaking out in defense of our Constitution and our Democracy.
Speak your minds, my friends! This moment is bigger than your careers and your political correctness and sensibilities. This is the time to speak for America, for our Democracy, for our Values, for our United States. For our children and grandchildren. For our future...
Ronald Reagan talked about America as "the shining city on the hill." The place the world admired and aspired to emulate. The place where the best and the brightest of the world who had the courage to come here -- like Syrian Steve Jobs -- can become Americans and make America Great.
What happened to that vision in the Republican Party?
LINKS TO RELATED SITES
LINKS TO RELATED BUSINESSES
- 1871 - Where Digital Startups Get Their Start
- BCV Social
- ConceptDrop (Now Nexus AI)
- Gather Voices
- Georama (now QualSights)
- HighTower Advisors
- Holberg Financial
- Landscape Hub
- Lisa App
- Magic Cube
- Mile Auto
- Packback Books
- Peanut Butter
- Philo Broadcasting
- Popular Pays
- Tempesta Media
- NEW INC. MAGAZINE COLUMN BY HOWARD TULLMAN
- HOWARD TULLMAN ON BOOTSTRAPPING IN AMERICA
- Coronavirus reality is clobbering Trump Opinion by...
- BIRTHDAY BOYS
- Trump’s Napalm Politics? They Began With Newt
- MORE FALLOUT FROM RUMP'S AND PENSE'S POISON ABOUT ...
- KEEP TALKING ABOUT THE HOAX WHILE PEOPLE KEEP DYING
- JUST AS FAKE AS DAD
- SAYS IT ALL
- What Do You Tell Your Kids When the Leader’s a Liar?
- BRUNI: THE UNWELCOME AMERICAN
- DOWD: RUMP RUMPLED
- BRUNI: BIDEN'S BEST
- THE WALK OF SHAME - JUST BEGINNING
- JOINING SCOTT KITUN FOR THE LAST WGN RADIO SHOW
- BIRTHDAY BALLOONS
- DO RUMP AND PUTZ THINK THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE SO ...
- Trump’s unhinged crusade to destroy Obamacare boom...
- SECOND WAVE (OR MORE OF THE FIRST WAVE) - NOT A PR...
- Mike Pence Touts Constitutional Right to Hold Trum...
- Rump Retreats
- ARE THESE MINNEAPOLIS PEOPLE CRAZY OR JUST STUPID?
- Learn More About the Lisa App
- LIAR IN CHIEF
- WHAT A HAPPY ENDING
- NEW INC. MAGAZINE COLUMN BY HOWARD TULLMAN
- Loop North News - Are You Ever Going Back to the O...
- PLEASED AND PROUD TO SUPPORT THE LISA APP FOR ESSE...
- Senior: America’s Wannabe Autocrat Is in the Home ...
- SUCH A LOVELY SIGHT TO SEE - RUMP GETS DUMPED IN T...
- Rubin: The pandemic Rump cannot ignore
- Bruni: Rump the Troglodyte
- MORE LIES FROM RUMP AND BARR
- DOG'S LIFE
- VISITING WITH SEVERAL OF THE GUESTS IN MIKE'S NEW ...
- RUMP AND BARR TRY TO PULL ANOTHER FAST ONE - DISGU...
- Could They Be Any Dumber in Oklahoma?
- John Bolton Is the Model of a Trump Sellout
- Lisa App at Sinai Hospital Helping to Support and ...
- Bolton’s Book on Rump
- Don't Blame Rump - He Warned Us
- Does Rump Want to Fight for a Second Term?
- Why Do Rump Supporters Act Like His Election Is Ce...
- Bankrupt Hertz Is a Pandemic Zombi
- Rump and Pence Are Scrambling to Explain Away Coro...
- The Embarrassment of Democrats Wearing Kente-Cloth...
- NEW INC MAGAZINE BLOG POST BY HOWARD TULLMAN
- The Court-Martial of Donald J. Rump
- Ask Not What President Rump Can Do for You
- Howard Tullman Joins Bob Sirott on WGN Radio to Ch...
- AN AMAZING ANSHE EMET MINI-CONCERT THANKING FIRST ...
- GUESS WHAT"S TRENDING UP. GUESS RUMP DIDN'T HAVE ...
- It's Rump's Revolution
- Economic Reality Bites Wall Street and Rump
- A Way of Lies
- AMERICAN PSYCHO - JARED KUSHNER
- TOO SCARED TO FACE THE PEOPLE
- BARR - ANOTHER STUPID BULLY
- He Is Even Dumber Than We Thought
- Glasser - Trump Hates Losers, So Why Is He Refight...
- Cohan: What’s Behind the Bad-News Market Boom
- Why Does Rump Lie?
- Keeper Now
- Save Our Symphony
- New INC. Magazine Column by Howard Tullman
- Howard Tullman Video with Gather Voices
- Mazel Tov Cocktails
- NY Times: Is This the Trump Tipping Point?
- The New White House Wall
- Bible Bearer
- RUMP: "I DON'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY"
- RUMP: NOT HIS BIBLE - "A" BIBLE
- THE COWARD VERSUS THE COMMANDER
- Stephens: Donald Trump Is Our National Catastrophe...
- Remnick: A Racist in the White House
- Chris Rock
- "It's A Bible..."
- Dan Schmidt - Great piece
- Greg Dobbs - Boomer Cafe
- We’ve Now Entered the Final Phase of the Trump Era
- The Troll in Chief's Fake War with Twitter
- Bruni: The End of College as We Knew It?
- Stan Lee
- Trump’s photo with his loyalists was a vulgar mess...
- Pandemic U
- LITTLE WEAK DONNY "BONE SPURS" STRIKES BACK
- R.I.P. - THE BEST REUBEN IN TOWN - SAD TO SEE THI...
- RUMP LIES LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE BREATHE.
- Frank Bruni...Why I'm So Heartsick....
- CAN'T WE?
- A Tribute to Christo’s Unforgettable Art Works
- So Much Better to Say Nothing
- Bret Stephens
- WILL: Trump must be removed. So must his congressi...
- Desmond Tutu
- New INC. Magazine Blog Post by Howard Tullman
- Greg Dobbs: A bookend for American boomers: Back ...
- ▼ June (100)
- ► 2019 (377)
- ► 2018 (456)
- ► 2017 (452)
- ► 2016 (930)
- ► 2015 (1001)
- ► 2014 (867)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (419)
- ► 2011 (389)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (484)
- ► 2008 (573)
- ► 2007 (495)
- ► 2006 (49)