Saturday, May 20, 2017
By Matt Lee | Photo: Lucy Hewett | May 15, 2017
Visionary entrepreneur Howard Tullman takes tech incubator 1871 to uncharted heights as it reaches the five-year mark
One wonders if Howard Tullman ever sees anything but opportunity. Widely recognized as one of the most influential and connected men in Chicago, he famously reversed the fortunes of Kendall College in the mid-2000s and, several years later, co-founded the innovative Tribeca Flashpoint College. And while those were stunning accomplishments both, it’s safe to say that Tullman is truly leaving his mark on the city with tech incubator 1871.
Under the serial entrepreneur’s leadership, 1871 is, simply, on fire. Since taking the position of CEO in 2013, he’s transformed the Merchandise Mart-based org from a donation- and grant-fed venture to a booming nonprofit business. “If we hadn’t morphed the model, we’d be sharing just a fraction of what we have now,” he says, sitting behind a giant David Bowie portrait in his office.
More than 500 startups are now members; 1871 has graduated 200 companies that have raised $200 million and created 7,000 jobs—and it has repeatedly been rated the best tech incubator in the country. Just as impressively, it’s currently offering or developing a mind-boggling array of community outreach programs, educational initiatives and networking events.
“We’ll be doing about 1,000 events this year,” says Tullman. “That’s everyone from Sheryl Sandberg to the head of U.S. tech to the mayors of Paris and London. Because they’re trying to do this too.”
As Tullman points out, no single sector currently accounts for more than 13 percent of the enviably diverse Chicago economy. In coming years, though, tech is likely to play an increasingly large role. And 1871 and the man behind it are playing no small part.
LINKS TO RELATED SITES
- My Personal Website
- My Facebook Page
- My Twitter Page
- My LinkedIn Page
- My Wikipedia Page
- My GOOGLE+ Page
- My ABOUT.ME page
- My KLOUT Page
- My KRED Page
- G2T3V, LLC Site
- G2T3V, LLC Email
- G2T3V, LLC Facebook Page
- My INC. Blog Posts
- My Built in Chicago Blog Posts
- My Channel on YOUTUBE
- My Videos on VIMEO
- My Boards on Pinterest
LINKS TO RELATED BUSINESSES
- 1871 - Where Digital Startups Get Their Start
- BCV Evolve
- HighTower Advisors
- Options Away
- Packback Books
- Philo Broadcasting
- Popular Pays
- Congrats to the Bunker Labs on 3rd Successful Must...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Speaks on Design Thinking ...
- Thanks to Matt and Modern Luxury and to Lucy Hewet...
- Dyett Class - A Little Magic Goes A Long Way
- Last Class at Dyett - Tons of Hands in the Air - H...
- Anthony Ponce Gives 1871 CEO Howard Tullman a LYFT...
- Deputy Governor Leslie Munger Visits the Chicago C...
- 1871 Hosts BOSCH Hackathon 2.0
- 1871 SUPPORTS ILLINOIS HUMANITIES AWARD - CONGRATS...
- 1871 Hosts Bosch Dremel Group for Off-Site
- National, Local Tech Giants Meet in San Antonio fo...
- Bosch is investing nearly $2 million in the projec...
- New INC Magazine Blog Post from 1871 CEO Howard Tu...
- Magic at the Dyett High School Eagle Entrepreneurs...
- Bosch opens a co-working space in 1871 by John Ple...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Speaks at NU NEST Summit
- Dyett Class - Business Logos - Thanks to Red Schmi...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman 5th Birthday Remarks
- 1871 Honored as Disruptor at CS - Modern Luxury Ev...
- Dyett Classes 4 & 5 - Team Presentations
- NU Law School Podcast with 1871 CEO Howard Tullman...
- Cool New Pearson Charging Station at 1871
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Speaks to Design Group fro...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Speaks on Tech Trends and ...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Speaks at Dominican Univer...
- 1871 Welcomes Technology Leaders from Amsterdam
- 1871 Entrepreneurship Class 3 at Dyett High School...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Keynotes DePaul's Annual C...
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN KEYNOTE AT CATERPILLAR ANA...
- Keynoter tells DuPage business conference change i...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Welcomes French Innovation...
- 1871 CEO urges DuPage businesses to keep up with t...
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN AT DUPAGE COUNTY REGIONAL ...
- 5 Years and counting
- New INC Magazine Blog Post by 1871 CEO Howard Tull...
- Pearson Campaign Continues....
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman on Tasty Trade
- Don't Call It...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Welcomes the Crowd at Disr...
- ▼ May (39)
- ► 2016 (930)
- ► 2015 (1001)
- ► 2014 (867)
- ► 2013 (528)
- ► 2012 (418)
- ► 2011 (389)
- ► 2010 (416)
- ► 2009 (484)
- ► 2008 (573)
- ► 2007 (495)
- ► 2006 (49)