Sunday, June 21, 2015
1871 Welcomes UIC Chancellor Michael Amiridis
Michael D. Amiridis, executive vice president for academic affairs and provost at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, was named chancellor of the University of Illinois at Chicago Thursday, pending formal approval by the Board of Trustees at its Jan. 15 meeting. Amiridis, who has been a professor, researcher and senior administrator at South Carolina’s flagship campus for more than two decades, would succeed Paula Allen-Meares, who will return to the faculty after her six-year term as chancellor of Chicago’s largest university ends Jan. 15. He would take office March 16.
Until his arrival, Eric A. “Rick” Gislason, interim UIC vice chancellor for academic affairs and provost, would serve as interim chancellor, pending Board of Trustees approval. President Robert Easter said Amiridis’ extensive leadership experience in public higher education will help continue UIC’s rise as one of the nation’s premier urban research universities. “Dr. Amiridis is an accomplished administrator on a flagship research campus, with a proven record of building academic and research excellence,” Easter said. “He also shares our vision that universities play a critical role in not only transforming the lives of students, but driving progress for our state and nation.”
Amiridis, who also would serve as a university vice president, said he is honored and humbled to be named the new chancellor of UIC, which he called “a model of a public urban research institution in this country, located in a most vibrant global city.” “With its rich history of success in high-quality education, in generation and application of new knowledge, and in community engagement, access and inclusion, UIC is well positioned for the future,” Amiridis said. “I’m looking forward to working tirelessly with all members of the academic and surrounding community as we develop new and innovative models of serving the needs of the city, the state and their citizens, while at the same time advancing the stature and reputation of our institution.” Amiridis, 52, was chosen by Easter and president-elect Timothy L. Killeen from four finalists recommended by a campus-based advisory committee, which screened 55 candidates during its eight-month search.
As chancellor, he would head Chicago’s largest university campus, with more than 28,000 students and total research funding that ranked 57th among universities nationally in the most recent federal rankings and now exceeds $350 million. UIC has a nearly $2 billion budget, 12,000 faculty and staff, and 15 academic colleges, including the nation’s largest medical school. UIC also operates the state’s largest public medical center, along with a network of federally qualified clinics and regional health sciences campuses in Peoria, Rockford and Urbana-Champaign. The chancellor is chief executive officer of the UIC campus and reports to the university president in a system that also includes campuses in Urbana-Champaign and Springfield. Easter will retire as president on June 30, 2015, and Killeen was announced as the university’s 20th president in November, pending Board of Trustees approval in January.
“I am delighted that Michael Amiridis has accepted our offer to become the next chancellor at the University of Illinois at Chicago,” Killeen said. “I also want to thank Chancellor Paula Allen-Meares for her exemplary leadership over the past six years. “Dr. Amiridis brings important qualities and experience to the University of Illinois and I am looking forward to working with him closely to expand yet further the many and diverse contributions of this great public urban research university.” Since 2009, Amiridis has served as executive vice president for academic affairs and provost at the University of South Carolina at Columbia, where he oversees all academic functions on the university’s flagship campus and at four, two-year regional campuses. He shares responsibility for coordinating all budget and capital planning functions. The Columbia campus is South Carolina’s most comprehensive educational institution with more than 320 degree programs in its 15 colleges and schools, including professional degrees in medicine and law. More than 32,000 students are enrolled this fall, including about 23,000 undergraduates. The size of the freshman class has grown by 70 percent since 2002, and average SAT scores have increased by about 100 points from 2001 to 2013. The campus’s research portfolio exceeds $230 million. As provost, Amiridis created an “academic dashboard” that helps chart the campus’s strategy for growth and excellence by comparing its performance to peer institutions in key areas such as enrollment, research funding, graduation rates and student-faculty ratios. He helped develop a plan that earned board of trustees funding for 200 new tenure and tenure-track positions. Before being named provost, Amiridis was dean of South Carolina’s College of Engineering and Computing from 2006 to 2009, and chair of the department of chemical engineering from 2002 to 2006. He joined the Columbia campus as a professor of chemical engineering in 1994. Earlier, he was a research engineer for W.R. Grace and Co., an international manufacturer of specialty chemicals and materials; an engineer for North Aegean Petroleum Co., an energy company based in Greece; and a lecturer at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.
A native of Greece and a U.S. citizen, Amiridis earned his undergraduate degree in chemical engineering from Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki in Greece, and his Ph.D. in chemical engineering from the University of Wisconsin at Madison. His research interests focus on the synthesis and catalytic characterization of bimetallic nanoparticles with controlled composition and architecture. He has received more than $15 million in research funding as a principal investigator and more than $9 million as a co-investigator. He earned the National Science Foundation’s award for early-career scientists and engineers in 1999, the University of South Carolina’s research achievement award in 2005, and the university’s Golden Key Award for Integration of Undergraduate Teaching and Research in 2000. His work has resulted in more than 85 peer-reviewed journal publications and he received awards for teaching excellence at South Carolina and as a graduate instructor at Wisconsin.
Amiridis was elected a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2012. He is a member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, the American Chemical Society, the American Society for Engineering Education and the North American Catalysis Society. He and his wife, Dr. Ero Aggelopoulou-Amiridis, have two children.
Amiridis would succeed Allen-Meares, who served as chancellor since 2009 and earned her master’s and doctoral degrees from the Urbana campus. During her six years as chancellor, UIC’s enrollment increased by more than 2,000 students, and research funding grew by nearly 14 percent to more than $388 million. Allen-Meares has overseen the creation of new programs, such as the bioengineering partnership between the College of Engineering and the College of Medicine. She launched the Faculty Discovery Fund-Chancellor’s Innovation Fund to support UIC research discoveries and seed investments in startups. She also has led initiatives to strengthen the diversity of UIC students and faculty.
LINKS TO RELATED SITES
- My Personal Website
- My Facebook Page
- My Twitter Page
- My LinkedIn Page
- My Instagram Page
- My Wikipedia Page
- My GOOGLE+ Page
- My ABOUT.ME page
- My KLOUT Page
- My KRED Page
- G2T3V, LLC Site
- G2T3V, LLC Email
- G2T3V, LLC Facebook Page
- My INC. Blog Posts
- My Built in Chicago Blog Posts
- My Channel on YOUTUBE
- My Videos on VIMEO
- My Boards on Pinterest
LINKS TO RELATED BUSINESSES
- 1871 - Where Digital Startups Get Their Start
- BCV Evolve
- Gather Voices
- HighTower Advisors
- Holberg Financial
- Landscape Hub
- Lisa App
- Magic Cube
- Mile Auto
- Packback Books
- Peanut Butter
- Philo Broadcasting
- Popular Pays
- Ready 4
- Tempesta Media
- ► 2017 (452)
- ► 2016 (930)
- CHOOSE CHICAGO'S DON WELSH AND 1871 CEO HOWARD TUL...
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN AND GRUB HUB CEO MATT MALO...
- NEW INC. MAGAZINE BLOG POST BY 1871 CEO HOWARD TUL...
- HAT at TECHWEEK
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN SPEAKS ON TECH TRENDS AT T...
- 1871 WELCOMES JERRY AZUMAH
- BATTLEHACK at 1871
- 1871 TGIF WITH DTZ
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN MODERATES A GREAT PANEL AT...
- Meet the 13 Women-Owned Startups Selected to 1871'...
- 1871 WELCOMES DEAN HAROLD KRENT FROM IIT CHICAGO-K...
- A SELFIE WITH RONALD
- TECH ENTREPRENEURSHIP PRESENTATIONS TODAY
- Five former Obama advisers on Iran warn nuclear de...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Speaks to New Class at The...
- Let’s Not Go Crazy With Coding For Kids
- Selfie with Ronald
- VESTED WORLD PROGRAM AT 1871
- MY 8th YEAR ANNIVERSARY ON TWITTER
- BIRTHDAY BOYS
- Daily Whale: 1871 CEO talks about the future of Ch...
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN SPEAKS ON TASTY TRADE
- THE RIGHT LESSON
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN INTERVIEWED ON "THE DOWNLO...
- 1871 COMPANY GRAMOVOX LAUNCHES NEW VERTICAL TURNTA...
- Motorola President Rick Osterloh Stops by 1871 for...
- Seth Godin Blog on Expectations
- 1871 Welcomes Video Team from AON for Summit Video...
- 1871 Alum WHITTL Raises New Funding
- Artist Ken Holder Visits His Painting at 1871
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Presents on Tech Trends at...
- NEW INC. MAGAZINE BLOG POST BY 1871 CEO HOWARD TUL...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Speaks at Tech Week on Fri...
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN SPEAKS AT CITY CLUB
- 1871 WELCOMES FRENCH BUSINESS GROUP FOR DISCUSSION...
- LEAP Awarded $5.1 Million to Lead National Ed Inno...
- Avant, Signal win big at 2015 EY Entrepreneur of t...
- 1871 and The 2015 Moxie Awards
- 5 Damn Good Reasons to Startup in Chicago
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN SPEAKS AT THE CITY CLUB
- 1871 Welcomes UIC Chancellor Michael Amiridis
- 1871 Welcomes Swiss Ambassador Martin Dahinden
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Joins Panel of Judges for ...
- New City Article on 1871 by Emerson Dameron
- CONGRATS TO JB PRITZKER ON THE ERNST & YOUNG MASTE...
- 1871 in Survey of Incubators and Co-Working Spaces...
- 1871 welcomes Hyde Park Angels Entrepreneurial Edu...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Talks Tech and 1871 at Acc...
- 1871 welcomes Reem Younis from Israel and Consul G...
- JIM O'CONNOR AND HAT AT TGIF - #UPSHOW
- 1871 LAUNCHES #UPSHOW - MEMBERS WORLDWIDE CAN SHAR...
- VOLUME XIII OF THE PERSPIRATION PRINCIPLES NOW AVA...
- NEW PHONE BOOTHS AT 1871
- CHICAGOLAND ENTREPRENEURIAL CENTER ANNOUNCES NEW B...
- The Garage Opening at Northwestern
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Speaking at IDEAS in Los A...
- 1871 Welcomes PresenTense for Launch 2015
- The Seven Scars of an Entrepreneur
- A Periodic Table Of Wearable Technology
- 1871 Welcomes Alderman Deborah Mell
- 1871 Welcomes Seattle Chamber of Commerce and Boei...
- 1871 hosts Alan Matthew for Lecture
- 1871 Welcomes Delegation from Finland with Kaarina...
- Join Pure Michigan and Under the Radar for a virtu...
- NEW INC. MAGAZINE BLOG POST BY 1871 CEO HOWARD TUL...
- Why Quaker Oats Is Turning to 1871 to Spark Innova...
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN OPENS DEVRY DVX EDUCATION ...
- 111th ANNUAL MEETING OF THE CHICAGOLAND CHAMBER OF...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman Speaks on Tech Trends at C...
- FOUNDER OF 1871 ENVISIONS THE FUTURE OF CHICAGO
- New INC. Magazine Blog Post by 1871 CEO Howard Tul...
- Sen. Gillibrand taps Chicago to launch 'Off the Si...
- 1871 welcomes the Team from INC. Magazine
- 1871 welcomes Deputy Assistant Secretary Elizabeth...
- 1871 hosts Off the Sidelines with Senator Kristen ...
- Windy City Labs - Loop Tracks Project
- CHICAGO ECONOMIC MAKEUP
- 1871 Welcomes Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella
- 1871 Town Hall Meeting
- TOWN HALL MEETING AT 1871
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN SPEAKS AT STARCOM GREEN LI...
- OURCROWD EVENT AT 1871
- Federico Solmi’s Twisted Take on the 2016 U.S. Pre...
- MPC LUNCHEON HONORS MILES WHITE with JB PRITZKER F...
- 1871 MEMBER COMPANIES PRESENT AT HIGHTOWER APEX CO...
- 1871 welcomes Entrepreneurs from Brazil for Tour a...
- Tock restaurant-ticketing system launches, takes r...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman included in Techweek 100 l...
- 1871 CEO Howard Tullman in NU's Weinberg Magazine
- New INC Magazine Blog Post by 1871 CEO Howard Tull...
- 1871 Welcomes Pru Ashby from London & Partners and...
- 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN SPEAKS AT WORTH GENERATION...
- VIRGIN HOTELS SHARES 1871 CEO HOWARD TULLMAN'S ADV...
- ▼ June (96)
- ► 2014 (867)
- ► 2013 (528)
- ► 2012 (418)
- ► 2011 (389)
- ► 2010 (416)
- ► 2009 (484)
- ► 2008 (573)
- ► 2007 (495)
- ► 2006 (49)